Thursday, June 10, 2010

Me...so far

In the eye of the traveler, lingers a brutal wisdom
A strangely uncommon twinkle
We are not lost, the world is our home

Wisdom that a bubble won't preserve us
Knowledge of the breath we take
In every moment, life is passing
And we, the pieces of it all

A moving, patchwork-quilt of buildings hides us
But the sky will hold us close
Loss, for us, is an opportunity to gain
And proof of life's reality

We are here to see
There is possibility


My name is Helena Young. I am 24 years old. I'm from all over but have spent the last few years in Portland, Oregon. I write to you now from a place so different from home that we don't even share the same date! This will undoubtedly be one of the greatest adventures of my life, but it means so much more than adventure for me. It means a chance to give back, a chance to help someone who needs it, and a chance to acquire skills to help me help others' in the future.

I am privileged to be part of the AFS volunteer teaching assistant program in... Thailand!! From this experience abroad I hope to get to know the Thai people and culture. I hope to use my knowledge as extensively as possible to help others. I hope to represent my country and culture in excellence and with respect. I hope to jump-start my future and reaffirm my goals. Finally, I look forward to seasoning it all with fun and adventure!

So the first steps have been taken. Tomorrow I will begin walking down this new path. Wish me luck for my first day as an English teacher in Thailand.




1 comment: